Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wonderful Weekend

We started Saturday morning before daylight with the sound of strong rain. The local Race for the Cure was to start in a couple of hours. Do we stay in bed and forget about it? As Husker joked, "They already have our donation." But very soon, the rain was gone, and the clouds with them. The sun was out, so we were out of the bed, too. We arrived at the race site about 30 minutes later than we had planned, but not too late to scan the booths and line up for the one-mile walk.

I used to run this event, but that was in an earlier age. So we walk.

I have exercised faithfully since my early 30's, but Husker is a polio survivor and simply is not into working out.  I, on the other hand, cannot imagine anything so delightful as laps in the Y's indoor pool or a vigorous 4-mile walk in our hilly neighborhood. Give me a challenging Iyengar yoga class any day!

Sunday morning was time to hear our new minister in the pulpit. Rev. Jenn has a sense of humor, impeccable timing, and smart, too. Can't ask for anything better than that on a sleepy Sunday start.

The most delightful part of the weekend was dinner on Sunday evening, with Husker's sons, Adam and wife, Caroline, and Jon and his fiancĂ©, Sarah, and daughter, Jennie.   We were in a popular restaurant that informs our city's culture. This was a special event for my husband's birthday.  A note at this point: I was wearing over my top a little sweater that I had knitted called a shrug (an abbreviated cardigan) from a pattern I found on Knitty.com. The designer identified herself as a Texan, but no city; however, her location was blown by modeling the sweater in front of a local landmark. Well -- I was about 2 margaritas too far along when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up at a young, pretty woman who announced that she was the designer of my sweater. What a surprise and a delight to meet her. I have been following her blog since I stumbled upon the pattern. So out of a city population of about 600,000 on one specific night, we both are in the same place and I happen to have my sweater on! What are the odds of that happening? Thank you, Ashley, for your creativity, and stopping to say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment