Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bone Density

My mother spent her last 4 years bedridden due to severe osteoporosis.  She never exercised, lifted weights, or did anything that could be called preventive for her bones.  She walked some in her 70s, but that was all.  As a result, I was a runner for 24-25 years, switched then to walking, yoga, and swimming.  Scratch the swimming for bones, but I like doing it.  I have nordic walked for 5 years in our hilly neighborhood about 7-12 miles a week, went to Iyengar yoga classes twice a week for about 5 years, and swam laps 2-4 times a week for 5 years.  You would think someone who can walk that much, do handstands and headstands, etc., would be well prepared. 

Not so.  I received a call from my doctor yesterday with the results of my bone density test that was a part of my well woman exam.   The spine was okay, but the hips were getting into the not-so-optimal range.   He is prescribing Fosamax, and we will do the bone density test in another year.  He knows that I exercise a lot, but said it must be the genes.  What else can I do?  I am adding weight training.  Yesterday and today, and will also do this again 2 more days this week.  Now it is wait and see ....

No comments:

Post a Comment