Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

It's not a sock -- What it is, is a . . .

I am pretty good about doing only one project at a time.  In the past, I tried working on about 2 or 3 at once, and that turned out to be a big mistake.  Everything I do has some special quirk, and if I am working on too many things, I forget what quirk was done where.  I decided to forego any further multiple WIPs (works in progress).

My last two WIPs were related, however.  I made Cindy's socks, and found that -- like me -- she has a slender foot and thus does not use near all of the sock yarn of choice.  I eyed that fist-sized cake remaining on my Yarn Buddy, and knew that I could not "not" dive right back into it.  In addition, when I bought the Yarn Buddy, it arrived with a couple of mini skeins, one of which was a beautiful cranberry colorway that looked so well with the Pearlescent colorway from Knit Picks.  Neither was enough for anything too big, but definitely enough for something about the same size as a small sock.  So I decided to make a mini-cowl since Cindy lives in cold country.  I ended up with a very small amount of both yarns left. 

The mini-cowl does not require a pattern.  CO 144 sts of sock yarn and knit in K2 P2 ribbing using US #2 dpn until the cowl is 6-8 inches in length, or length desired.  Bind off very loosely.  This one is 7 inches long, but can obviously be a little shorter or longer as desired.  Wear it up to cover bottoms of ears and chin, or fold over to keep only the neck area covered.  Stripe it with various left over yarns, or use a self-striping yarn or whatever suits your taste!  See the next three photos to see it worn three ways. 


 Folded, or
 Casual, or
Like the wind is howling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment