Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bread

When my children were young, I was a full-time mommy, and had time to make bread regularly.  Whole wheat, sourdough, fruited breads, stollen, English muffins, whatever.  Once the children were a little older, I went back to school to finish up my degree and simultaneously went back to work.  There was no longer time for bread making.

Occasionally, I would throw together a loaf, and even added focaccia to my skill set, but regular bread baking went by the wayside. 

About 10 days ago, while Husker was out of town, the "mood" hit me.  I went into the kitchen -- and without a recipe -- I started putting together a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread.  Amazingly, it came out to be as delicious a large round loaf as I remembered from years before.  The feel of the bread as I kneaded it was the same and I still recognized the feel that told me that it was ready for the next step.  I have since been mulling over Malin Elmlid's Bread Exchange on Facebook.  The whole idea of trading bread for goods/services intrigues me.  Do I want to commit myself to baking a lot and hoping that someone will offer me something in exchange?  What would I be willing to trade for my bread?  Should I use Facebook to solicit offers?  I would dearly love to hear from others about this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment